8 Style Tips I Learned From Writing 24 Kate Middleton Stories Last Year
Listen—my co-workers don't call me Dame Fitz for nothing (true story). I'm the resident royals expert for Who What Wear, having covered basically every major duchess moment that's happened in my three years at the company, including the birth of Kate Middleton's third child, Meghan Markle's wedding and pregnancy announcement, and every one of Middleton's tours abroad. And yes, my royal coverage also extends to the late Princess Diana and Kensington-adjacent sister Pippa Middleton. In fact, I went through my old stories and realised I wrote 24 articles on Middleton alone last year. So you can say I'm pretty familiar with her style.
The Duchess of Cambridge's outfits offer plenty of royal style tips if you pay close enough attention. If you don't feel like analysing her wardrobe, I've got you covered. Below, I've rounded up my favourite tips I gleaned from her 2018 looks, from the affordable brand you shouldn't overlook to the unique colour combo you should try. Get ready to Middleton-ify your closet.
1. Don't Underestimate J.Crew Accessories
2. Combine Different Shades of Red
3. Carry Top-Handle Mini Bags to Add Instant Polish
On Kate Middleton: Emilia Wickstead dress; Aspinal of London Midi Mayfair Bag ($870)
4. Always Consider Proportions
On Kate Middleton: Brora Cashmere Cropped Cardigan ($265); Emilia Wickstead skirt
5. Don't Be Afraid to Be an Outfit Repeater
6. Match Your Bag, Shoes, and Belt Without Looking Cheesy
7. Wear Skinny Jeans the Royal Way
8. Invest in Comfortable Pumps